[ Main Site Menu ] [ Back to Dunkin Menu ] [ Index to Site Documents ]

Dunkin to Billings
No Name Soldiers

[Reference and NOTE: Dunkin Papers.
                                        This "memorandum" looks like a draft with words crossed out, interjected and misspelled.]

4 June 1967

Tom Dunkin
Dick Billings

First contact with No Name Key group was in July or August, 1962, when small group was camping on south shorts of Lake Okeechobee, near Pahokee-Belle Glade.

Among those present were Howard K. Davis, identified as "car leader", Gerald Patrick Hemming, aka "Jerry Patrick", Joe Garman, and Steve Wilson.

Group a bit publicity shy, but in September, at request of WFLA-TV Tampa friend, Don Starr, tried for footage on their activities.  Met with Davis and Patrick in Miami on Sat. Sept. 15, finally, around 2 a.m. Sunday Sept. 16, got approval.

Two carloads departed Miami for No Name Key, including Davis, Patrick, Cuban known only as Pino, among others.  At the camp on No Name Key, Steve Wilson was in charge.  Other Americans there included Ed Collins, Bill Seymour, Canadian Bill Dempsey, one individual identified as Finnish and in doubtful status with Immigration, named Edmund Kolbe [Kolby] (spelled Colby in some news accounts later), also Roy Hargraves.

Number of men transported by boat from No Name Sunday, Sept 16, for a demonstration which was filmed on Big Pine Key, near No Name, by WFLA-TV sound crew, by myself with film going to WTVT Tampa, plus stills which were used in Miami Herald story on 20 September and in Glades County Democrat 21 September 1962.  (Copy of Democrat attached).

Democrat article read by a friend Larry Newman Jr., managing editor of Dayton (Ohio) Daily News, resulting in request for a feature with fresh art, dated 15 October.

Returned to Miami on Saturday 20 October, or possibly Friday.  At any rate, after beer-drinking session in bar of Hotel Flagler, at which time Dennis Harber first encountered, accompanied Roy Hargraves to tourist court on Flagler where he was living with female know only as "Betty" whom he later reportedly married.

Arrival at 2 a.m. brought protest from Betty, who rather profanely instructed Hargraves to "get the hell out of here and take your queer friend with you."  Later gratifyingly learned she had thought Harber was outside instead of me.

She protested to Hargraves that he was wasting his time with a revolution.  He advised her he had too much time invested to quit.  We slept in my car outside Patrick's headquarters, Federico's Guest House, 220 NW 8th Ave.

Howard K. Davis at that time lived at 3350 NW 18th Terrace.  He accompanied both trips to No Name Key, and was reported leader of group. (Davis, interestingly, was listed in Associated Press Florida wire story F56MH ( believed to be March 24, 1960, but could have been 1959) as among 29 persons whom the Miami News listed as banned from aircraft rental on Border Patrol orders.  Davis, and another American known only as "Art", later identified as Arthur Gerteit, were check pilots for CBS-Rolando Masferrer Haitian invasion "air Force" in November, 1966.  Gerteit was later identified in United Press International dispatch from Tifton, Cal, early 1967 (Apr. 11) where Cuban arrested with bombs as he rented an airplane, as "an FBI Decoy")

On second trip to No Name on behalf of Dayton Daily News, Harber accompanied group, which included Cuban known to me only by last name of Pino, who also had been present at first filming session.  Pino reportedly head of an exile group called Christian Army of Anti-Communist Liberation (ECLA), and not quotable by name at that time.

Harber was drunk on departure from Miami, and took one pint of whisky with him, which he asked be rationed to him slowly.  I performed this task.  Pino much amused at Harber, whom he called "el profesor."

Harber at that time was night clerk for the Flagler Hotel, 637 West Flagler, and also taught English (to Cuban exile students) at a language school next door to the hotel.

Harber was described by Patrick at that time as having terminal cancer.  At present, according to last report from Patrick, Herber was serving sentenced in Mexico for murder, undocumented to me.

Harber lived in a small apartment behind Flagler Hotel, and shared it with various of the Americans occasionally, including Seymour, Collins, and a Czeck lad known as Karl Novak, who I don't recall seeing on No Name.

No firing demonstrations available on second visit to No Name on Sunday 21 October.  Got there at night.  Took some night shots of interior of building, tried some campfire shots, and a random look at the camp the next day, including deportation of some unhappy recruits being sent back to Miami.

At the camp at this time was Ronald Ponce de Leon, age given at that time as 22, who said his mother was in a Castro jail.  She later released and subject of a Saturday Evening Post article.  Also present were Seymour, Wilson, Collins, Dempsey, Hargraves, and an American friend of Lewis' known only to me as "Craig."

We departed No Name next day, Monday, 22 October, and were interested in the number of Army Vehicles moving southward.  It was the day JFK announced the Cuban missile crisis on network TV in the evening.

Notes from this period show that Wilson at that time 27 years old, served 5 years Marine Corps  and 3 ˝ years Army, including Korean.  He listed Mansfield, Ohio, as hometown.  He identified in various later news stories as Justin J. Wilson.

Joseph C. Garman, age 32 in 1962, gave Bowling Green, KY, as hometown, where his father a minor political figure, county judge if I recall correctly.  Garman said he had served 5 ˝ years in National Guard and Army Reserve, as battalion sergeant-major, battalion intelligence sergeant, with rank of master sergeant.  Garman also said he served 1 /2 years with 149th Infantry.

Garman said he was involved in situation there because "I've always liked to soldier," and because somebody had to do something about Cuba and "I'm tired of this peace at any price bit."

(Garman was to have headed the "American squad" in 1966 Haitian invasion.  At that time he showed me an exchange of correspondence with Congressman from his district, in which he sought acceptance by Central Intelligence Agency for Congo or Rhodesian assignment, plus letter from CIA advising him they would be most happy to consider his normal, routine application, but that they did not accept recruits for specified area tasks.)

Garman also said he was a senior ROTC student (have forgotten which school) and failed to get commission due to a lung spot.

Garman also mentioned in conversation as to having operated a roadhouse in Kentucky at one time.  He was known as "Little Joe" to the No Name group.

Thirteen of this group was arrested 4 December 1962 in Marathon-Sombrero Key area, allegedly embarking for raid on Cuba.  They fought it through courts and won, late in 1964, with their attorney being Richard Booth, Miami, a former assistant U.S. Attorney.

According to Miami News story in My files, Border Patrol made the arrest, around 10 a.m. 4 December.  Group had twin-engine cruiser "Sally" 15 rifles, six pistols, ammunition, two cases of plastic explosives and blood plasma.

Two reportedly escaped, Roy Hargraves later said he was one of the two, but see according to list he was booked at Key West jail.

Those held and charged with violation of U.S. Neutrality Act were:

James A. (Jim) Lewis, 29, of 12138 Biscayne Blvd. (Lewis is an ex-Marine, has masters papers and recently worked for Tom McCrory, owner if I recall correctly, of Searoad Shipping, Inc., Miami.
Gerald Patrick Hemming
Ramigio [Cucu] Arce, 43, 1145 SW 23rd Ave. (listed as Cuban)
Ronald P. Ponce de Leon, 22, Havana (Cuban, but I believed he held U.S. citizenship.
Eleno O. Alvares, 26, Miami (listed as Cuban)
William J. Dempsey, 21, Ontario, Canada
Edmund Colby ? (Kolbe) [Kolby], 31, "a naturalized American from Finland."
Lawrence J. Howard Jr., 27, Pico Rivera, Calif.
Edwin A. Collins, 27,
Justin J. Wilson, 26,
William Seymour, 25,
Joseph C. Garman, 32, all of 1925 SW 4th ST. (Nellie Hamilton's boardinghouse).
Roy E. Hargraves, 1870 SW 12th St. (this may be the tourist court where he worked for a while, can't find it in phone book, having forgotten name an don't have city directory).

These people freed, don't have information whether bond actually posted or recognizance, and they later won the case, and I understand had all hardware returned to them.  Trial if I recall correctly, was in June or July 1964, U.S. District Court in Miami.

Visited from time to time with these people, until disassociated with them for the month required for the Phoenix Project for LIFE, March-April 1963.  This work enhanced standing with these people, and was in contact also on occasional more visit of some of them for parachute jumps at Clewiston jump center.

In early June, 1963, an old friend, David Laventhol, of N.Y. Herald-Tribune's foreign desk suggested possible story or series on "The Fight for Cuba's Freedom Continues," resulting in number of weekend trips to Miami to dig up information on this subject, regarding anti-Castro activity among Cuban exiles.

This brought more contact with Harber, Seymour and Collins.

They and their activities I quote below from the unpublished story; (written in June, 1963)

"A recent anti-Castro project undertaken with dubious accomplishment was a ‘psychological warfare' propaganda venture.  This involved a scheme to broadcast by short wave radio from a vessel in international waters, with messages aimed at the Cuban people, with a view to augmenting whatever disenchantment with their revolution there may be among Cuba's captive populace.

"The broadcast plan was the idea of Rudolfo Fasco, 31, a former Pentecostal minister, described by one American as a person "with a masochistic urge to be martyr."

With the single mindedness peculiar to the dedicated Cuban revolutionary, Fasco's idea originated last January.  It grew to fruition with the active assistance of three U.S. citizens providing the major part of the aid needed.

"Fasco's dream prompted him to give up a $3 an hour job as a welder in Chicago, and come to Miami.  He borrowed money to buy the 32-foot motor launch "Little Ann," which resembles a relic from prohibition rum-running days.

"The ‘Little Ann' was renamed ‘La Cucaracha' and outfitting began.  Sympathetic individuals contributed a piece of equipment here and there, and some money.  A Kato power plant, to generate the electricity needed, x to broadcast, was installed, equipped with a 1 ˝ horsepower gasoline engine.

"A Cuban radio technician volunteered to set up the broadcast equipment.  A Bay of Pigs veteran loaned a 500-watt short wave transmitter.  Another 250-watt transmitter also was borrowed.

"La Cucaracha" is powered by a 60-horse power Chris Craft marine engine which has seen much better days.  It is capable of thrusting ‘La Cucaracha' through the seas at all of nine knots.  The Gulf Stream flows northward at almost half that speed, which proved a problem.

FASCO'S MAJOR ASSISTANT is Dennis Harber, 35, an Omaha, Neb., native, who works as an English teacher in a foreign-language school in Miami, and as a hotel night clerk.

"Harber, who has a Columbia University Master's degree in Education, also had a bit of an educational experience in Colombia, where he was employed as a private tutor for about a year for the family of ex-Presidente Gustavo Rojas Pinilla.  Harber also says he has lived at various times for several months duration, in the Dominican Republic, Cuba and Mexico.

"Also enlisted were two young ex-servicemen, who have been active in various capacities during the last two years in exile anti-Castro endeavor.  They are EDWIN A. COLLINS, 27, of Shreveport, La., and WILLIAM H. SEYMOUR, 26, OF Tucson, Ariz.

"Collins reports 8 ˝ years of military service in the U.S. Army including duty in Japan, Korea, Okinawa and Europe.  Seymour spent 3 ˝ years in the U.S. Navy, in the Asiatic-Pacific area.

"Both had volunteered to instruct exiles with the Intercontinental Penetration Force, a group of ex-servicemen who have conducted infantry training programs at various times during the last 2 ˝ years in the Florida Everglades an the South Florida keys.  With action lagging with this organization, the duo joined with Fasco.  As usual, with no pay forthcoming, Collins and Seymour worked at odd jobs from time to time, for subsistence and to buy necessary parts to get ‘La Cucaracha' relatively seaworthy.  They were aided again by Harber, who provided living accommodations for Seymour and Collins.

"After more than five months of preparation, which included refloating ‘La Cucaracha' which was found sunk in about four feet of water at her berth several weeks ago, the broadcast undertaking neared target date early in June.

"Harber served as coordinator of the broadcast message content.  He rounded up tape-recorded discourses from Humberto Medrano, a former Havana newsman now a columnist with "Diario Las Americas,' a Spanish-language daily in Miami, and Sergio Carbo, another exiled newsman.  Medrano, known for his pungent wit, taped a message aimed at Cuban militiamen, which urged them to compare their present lot with their fortunes in the days before Cuba became a Communist satellite.

"Other messages were recorded by the leader of ‘Comando 2506' a new action group which has yet to see action, a statement from former members of Brigade 2506, of Bay of Pigs invasion infamy, and from a University of Miami psychologist.  There were taped and recorded in Spanish and readied for broadcast.  Harber also taped a statement in English, explaining purpose of the broadcasts.  Others messages in Russian and Czech languages were taped: for later broadcast.

"The first try at broadcasting came June 9, on Sunday.  It was a typical Cuban ‘fracaso' (failure. Two small support boats were used to ferry out the transmitter equipment, apparently more to give several Cubans the opportunity to have had a part, than from necessity.

"The plan was to rendezvous about five miles off Miami Beach, in international waters.  ‘La Cucaracha ran around in the Miami River, delaying the meeting for three hours.  The Radio Contact (the name given their operation) members later opined this was a deliberate effort by their volunteer Cuban Skipper to Abort the mission.  They later said it was certain he was in the pay of the CIA for the purpose of foiling their efforts.

‘La Cucaracha' plodded southeastward, her nine knots reduced by the north ward four-knot flow of the Gulf Stream.  After a couple of hours, the volunteer captain, Mateo Diaz, exercised a captain's prerogative, he turned back.  He explained to Fasco that they were making too little progress for the voyage to be practical.  Fasco wasn't wholeheartedly in accord, but he agreed to turn back.  Among other unforeseen problems the galley stove didn't work, and the crew faced an undetermined siege of subsistence from cold canned foods.

"After a one week delay, Fasco set said again.  This time he took only Collins and Seymour.  ‘La Cucaracha, proceeded slowly to a point just east of Alligator Reef, and the broadcast began shortly after noon, Saturday, June 14, 1963.  A minor oversight on the part of the Radio Contact group was remedied-providing a short wave monitor set back in Miami so it could be determined how the broadcast was received.  The monitoring crew never managed to pick up the broadcast.

"However, the Coast guard heard the transmission.  On Sunday, June 15, La Cucaracha had a visit from a Coast Guard launch for a ‘routine' safety inspection.

"Collins reported the Coast Guard crew also was curious about whether they had a license for the broadcast, and was informed such was not necessary for broadcasting outside the U.S.

"The Coast Guard advised the Cucaracha crew that it wasn't in agreement.  "La Cucaracha was advised to proceed to the Islamorada Coast Guard station.

"There the trio was questioned extensively and Fasco advised he was under arrest.  According to Collins and Seymour, Customs, Border Patrol and Immigration officials took part in the interrogation as well as several "spooks"–CIA agents.

"Their inquisitors appeared crestfallen when it was decided there actually was not law violation for which they could be held, and after four hours the three men were released, and ordered to get their vessel out of mooring area as it was considered a fire hazard."

...I find I described Harber as "a balding six-footer who occasionally quotes from Thomas Jefferson's the tree of Liberty, from time to time, must be nourished by the blood of patriots" (without adding the complete quote ending" It is its natural manure.")

Harber not specifically asked why he was involved in the undertaking.  However, Seymour and Collins were.  Seymour said "I got fed up with the situation (lack of U.S. action against Castro) about a year and a half ago and volunteered my services."  He said he found training exiles in the keys a bit disillusioning, specifically lack of organization.

Collins said his interest was due to the fact "there are many propagandists and preachers against communism, but very few people who are doing anything about it.  I feel after being in military service the best thing I could do would be to put into action what knowledge I had."

As to U.S. - Cuba policy, Collins said "I don't know what our plans are.  They keep advising us of the ‘big picture' outlook.  I know what they told us were the reasons for the Korean War, which I feel accomplished nothing but to get 30,000 Americans killed.

"I was in service during the Hungarian rebellion.  There were rumors that we would help them.  We didn't and just let them get slaughtered.  If something like that should happen again, I'd rather meet it with rifle in hand."

Biographical date on Gerald Patrick Hemming, from copy of a letter to Dr. Max Raffer, 3 July 1962, who later became California Supt. Of  Public Instruction, states:

Born at Los Angeles, California 1 March 1937
Served in the U.S. Marine Corps 1954 to 1958
Military schools include air traffic control tower (FAA license)
GCA Radar Final Controller, Link Instrument flight instructor.
Served with Recon Marines, 4th Marine Regiment, (Far East)
3rd Marine Air Wing, completed underwater swimmers school, qualified parachutist (military and skydiving)
During 1958 attended and graduated from U.S. Naval Academy Prep School, Bainbridge, MD., and due to interest in Cuban situation, received honorable discharge at U.S. Naval Academy October 1958.
Served in Castro's revolutionary forces (Rebel Army and Rebel Air force until late August of 1960.  Served as a parachute instructor and platoon leader in the rebel army and as a recon and fighter pilot in the rebel air force.  Due to activities in the summer of 1960 was arrested and imprisoned a number of times by Castro's secret police (G2).  After getting companions out of the country, made way to the U.S. via central America.  Upon arrival in U.S. spent long hours typing out reports for the CIA, and after that was completed, I made myself available for reinfiltration into Cuba, or reinfiltration into Communist sponsored groups in Central America.

After a period of weeks with no response from the CIA, I decide to drop my cover and proceed to the Miami area to aid many old friends that needed instructors for their personnel.  After arrival in Miami (March , 1961) I proceeded to help organize a group of U.S. and foreign Guerrilla Warfare Instructors that was baptized "Interpen" (International Penetration Force). (end gerald patrick hemming biog date)


OPERATION CONTACT ceases to exist when Collins, accompanied by friend, Dan Parrish, took boat out for Sunday afternoon outing of fishing and beer drinking late in September.  Boat ran a ground on Miami Beach, and surf pounded it to pieces.  Fasco charged Collins with theft, and he jailed but later charges dismissed by Peace Justice Jack Ferguson.  Collins maintained he had permission to use to boat.


Undated AP dispatch datelined Miami (believed to be sometime in 1963 but not certain) says.

"Federal agents said yesterday four Americans who were members of a secret organization were arrested with a large quantity of arms and ammunition taken from a Cuban married couple.

"Agents also disclosed a Cuban was apprehended and a .75 millimeter recoilless rifle, 37 millimeter and 20 millimeter cannons, a Russian machine gun, rifles submachine guns and thousands of rounds of ammunition were confiscated in raids on two houses Wednesday night.

"Customs supervising agent Joseph A. Fortier said the Americans were members of a group called Inter-Continental Penetration Forces and had headquarters at No Name Key in the Florida Keys.

"The Five were charged with violating the national firearms act by possessing automatic weapons.  They were ROY HARGRAVES, 23, JOSEPH C. GARMAN, 33; JUSTIN WILSON, 26; JAMES LEWIS, 30.
The Cuban was Michael R. Marino, 28."

Hall and Seymour, with 1950-ish blue Oldsmobile and a rectangular, wooden, home-build two-wheel trailer appeared at Glades Country Democrat Office on Thursday 24 October 1963.  Hall at that time unknown to me.

Hall showed me on of what he said were some 20 m-14 rifles, or the Urriaga conversion of M-1's to M-14 type.  Hall also said he had, if I recall correctly, some 20,000 rounds of .30 caliber ammunition, plus one 20 millimeter Finnish cannon.  He also had a 35mm Honeywell Pentax camera, and a 16mm Bolex, with two 25 mm lenses, one of which he insisted was wide-angle, and a 3-inch telephoto lense, if I recall correctly.

Hall and Seymour said they had a promise of $30,000 for any usable 16 millimeter footage for television use, with sponsor to be the manufacturer of Dr. Ross' dog food.  What they were after, Hall said, was film which would be beneficial to Goldwater campaign, specifically "Russian missiles in Cuba."

Having encountered suggestions in previous year that tremendous market existed for films which could be used for fund-raising among exiles, and having been skeptical of validity of such projects, was a bit dubious of news value of such an enterprise...but felt it might be worth looking into, particularly in view of the fact that in field of equipment, photographic and otherwise, he was in pretty good shape.

This was a press day.  Hall and Seymour arrived just after midday, and said they had been driving all night, and had been, Hall at least, picked up by Dallas cops–don't remember whether city or county–and was in sticky position due to barbiturates in possession, although arms and ammunition were parked safely in trailer separated from vehicle.

No charges made, and while no specific name mentioned as to who wielded influence, later heard from Hemming (Jerry Patrick) that Lester Logue, oilman in Dallas, responsible.  Did hear name "Logue" mentioned several times during next few days, by Hall, Howard and Seymour.

Hall and Seymour slept on porch at my boardinghouse while I published paper, after they painted trailer (blue over its original black, if I recall correctly).

After paper distribution made in evening, and for all practical purposes finished for week, having agreed to serve as chief of photographer for the mission, departed behind Hall who was alone towing trailer.  Seymour rode with me.  We lost Hall one time between South Bay and Andytown, when he got ahead of us considerably as we doubled back from time to time to check on his having no problems.

Got to Miami, and he stored the equipment, and began looking for a boat.  I introduced him to Santiago Alvarez, who said he could do nothing, had lost the Alisan and all his equipment

Hall finally made connection with Manolo Aguilar, head of FRAC (Frente Revolucionario Anti-Comunista), for use of Aguilar's boat the "Putusa".  Quartered Hall, Seymour and Howard, who they met in Miami, for next few days in apartment of transient cropduster pilot associate of mine, William Jacob Tillman, at, if recall correctly, 1814 NW 14th or 22nd Ct...apartment was upstairs from friend who worked with Delta Air Lines in operations, Worth Davidson, now in Honolulu (will check with him to determine correct address).

Boat arrangements not final until Monday 28 October, meanwhile had rounded up film necessary through purchase of film from ABC cameraman (Martin was first name, I believe) and also still film supplies.

Hall ran short of money, and telephoned, to Dallas, I understand, for more.  Got it wired to Fort Lauderdale, don't know exact sum.  At one time overheard the phone number, and wrote it in my checkbook, but have been unable since to locate the checkbook.

Hall traded the 20 millimeter, I understand, did not see the transaction, to Aguilar for transportation.  Also was to give him small amount of .30 caliber ammo as well as what 20 millimeter he had.

During the period from arrival in Miami to departure, either Saturday or Monday, or both, hall visited both Revolutionary Council (Biscayne an 17th, I believe) and the Unidad Revolucionaria offices 10 SW 9th ST., trying to engineer some deal for a .30 caliber machinegun, he said.  He never accomplished this.

Hall essentially had a four-man unit or five, including me in charge of all cameras, including two 35 mms of my own and my 16 millimeter motion picture camera.  His group was Seymour, Howard and another lad, a Cuban known only to me as Luis.  He was rather young, and whether he was the "Sardinia" referred to later in a letter from Seymour, I don't know.  Do know Luis furnished his own weapon, a .30 caliber, which he lost, and his landlord mentioned to him several days after mission failed that the FBI was looking for him.

Departure date, around nightfall on Tuesday 29 October, found three vehicles to be used.  Earlier; Hall, Aguilar, Howard Seymour and I had driven to launch site suggested by Aguilar, which was on road to Ocean Reef Club on Key Largo, on south side of key.

Hall suggested use of my car to tow boat, with no weaponry.  To avoid debate, I agreed.  I drove Aguilar's car, with Luis, Howard, Seymour, and myself, plus all camera gear and a .357 Magnum with 6-inch barrel which Hall issue me.

Drove to rendezvous point, which was made a bit troublesome due to fact that despite fact turnoff dirt road was exactly (if I recall correctly) 6 ˝ miles from junction with U.S. 1, Aguilar's car had a broken speedometer and there were several dirt road turning off to right.

Finally found right one, and drove to launch spot.  No one else arrived.  At one time, heard car with engine racing some distance in woods east of our position, and it sounded like my Mercury.  Arrived about 8 p.m., if recollection accurate.  After couple of hours, backtracked to marine on U.S. 1 and telephoned Aguilar's house to see if he departed.  Wife said he had been gone for several hours.

Returned to launch point and waited until midnight.  Had Seymour posted at road entrance to launch point.  Aguilar and hall never showed.  Figured impossible to reach Cuban coast in darkness with launch post midnight and rounded up crew to return to Miami.  En route, about four or five miles back from Ocean Reef highway, spotted Hall's car with boat on trailer halted on west shoulder, where he had been stopped while southbound.  About 50 yards behind was a station wagon with buggywhip antenna.  I called it to attention of troops (Luis, Seymour and Howard were asleep, but I awoke them) and kept going.  Hall had stressed that if there was trouble, it was every man for himself.

Fed the three in Homestead, and drove them to apartment.  Felt I would check Aguilar home, and Customs shed area in case of arrest, and no need for all to miss sleep.  Found Hall walking from Customs shed, he jumped in car and said "Let's get out of here."

He explained he had been stopped towing boat, Cesar Diosdado had stuck with him and made _____.

Arrest came when Manuel Barbarito Perez Goyanes, according to subsequent information, turned up driving my car which had been used to transport arms, and stopped to see why Hall had stopped.

Disposition of car handled in attached copy of letter o 7 Feb 1964 attached.

Around midmorning Hall and Aguilar went to Customs to see what they could retrieve in way of personal equipment not contraband.  I went with them in capacity as Miami Herald correspondent, shot pictures of seized contraband.

Had to purchase $50 auto which caught fire in carburetor, (not seriously) when driven back to Aguilar's house.  That evening, Harber, Pinow, and Collins showed up at Aguilar's to commiserate with the unfortunates.  Thought Hemming also was there, but don't believe he was.  Harber was most unhappy, " could just cry" was his first utterance, if I recall correctly.

I returned to Moore Haven.  In the mixup of sorting out belongings, I ended up with wallet and plastic envelope owned by Seymour.  Among his belongings was payment book on plot of land (small) he was buying on installment in Hawaii.  Got subsequent letter from him postmarked Houston 9 Nov 1963, which later got damp and caused running ink problems.  But, inspection with magnifying glass gives this as content:

Address to Editor, Glades County Democrat, Moore Haven, Fla., return address Bill S., 1008 Simmons St., Tucson, Ariz.
Text is:

Nov. 9
Dear T.D.
Homeward bound.  Washed out.  Brushmush (Hall, who had beard which he shaved after arrest and charges made against him or others) is left in Miami with the goodies.  He couldn't find transportation (too Hot) so Larry and I asked for a small token from the pile for a little vacation we had on the side.  It was no __ so we took off west with Sardinia.

Stopped at your place on the way but got word you were in Fort Myers at a football game.  Would you like very much if you would dump the contents of my wallet in an envelope and send it address 1008 Simmons St., Tucson, Ariz.  I won't need the red envelope until December at which time I will send some money for it and for some pictures (whatever you have handy).  I'll also send your watch too if you want it.  I'd be very glad to hear from you at any time.  As far as I know, Mr. H's wife won't send him loot.  He wasn't smiling.

The watch referred to was a $3.25 pocket watch loaned which I did not ask returned.  Sent Seymour's belongings to him and had no further word from him, Howard nor Hall...with exception that the day after my return, or on 1 Nov. 63, upon receipt of telephone call from Hall in Miami, made him prints of pictures involved, including seized boat parked in Jones Boatyard, arms in Customs shed, and himself and group, which I understand he wanted to show to his sponsors to prove his misfortune.  At this time, or rather before returning to Moore Haven, reclaimed three rolls of film on early preparations which had been mailed on street drop boxes to LIFE in Miami for possible use if a worthwhile story developed.

Hall said his home in Monterrey, Calif., and that he was a John Birch Society vice-president.  Seymour kidded him occasionally about being extremist.  Hall strongly anti-JFK, and if I recall correctly had expressed opinion "that son of a bitch ought to be shot" and expressed strong Republican and pro-Goldwater sentiments.

Hall said he had been in Cuban hills with Castro rebels in 1958.

End of Page

Copyright 1998-2014 Cuban Information Archives. All Rights Reserved.