CUBAN INFORMATION ARCHIVES
RICHMOND NAVAL AIR STATION
DADE COUNTY, FLORIDA
[ Main Site Menu ] [ Index to Site Documents ][ SEARCH This Site ]
Richmond Naval Air Station (deactivated) was a 2,000 acre area purchased by the Navy in 1942 bounded by SW 122nd Avenue and 137th Avenue, from 152nd Street (Coral Reef Drive) to 184th Street.
1910 -- Area called Pettaluna, later Tropico, then Aventina.
1942 -- Navy buys 2,000 acres for use as a blimp base .. original map
1945 -- A hurricane destroys the hangers, blimps, 366 planes and 150 cars. The remaining buildings were soon put to use, some by the University of Miami as a South Campus. Other areas of the old base were utilized by the Army, Navy and Coast Guard Communications installations, then the Air Force built a MOAD facility.
1958 -- aerial map
1962-1968 -- The CIA leased a few buildings from the University of Miami under the "front" name of Zenith Technological Services. This "front" company was in fact the intelligence gathering headquarters for the war on Cuba, known as JM/WAVE, aka JM WAVE aka WAVE STATION. Over 400 CIA operatives operated out of this facility. It moved from here to North Dade County. Main Gate ... 1962 map
1970 -- UM programs were ordered off the base except for the toxicology department of the UM Medical School.
1970-75 -- The County was deeded 1,000 acres, the largest part, for a new zoo and the rest for other public access. Building 25 (floor plan) is occupied by the Marine Reserve.
1991 -- Fire burns two warehouses and threatens the Railroad Museum.
1992 -- Hurricane Andrew roars through the old wooden buildings causing major damage to the termite infested structures.
1994 -- GSA begins clearing the majority of the old wooden buildings leaving Building 25 in a state of deterioration. The Perrine Primate Institute builds a concrete structure for permanent residence.
1995 -- Base considered site for SOUTHCOM
1997 -- Private security guards are placed at two inner entrances where Building 25 remains with some security sensitive buildings discouraging visitors.
PHOTO .. A building in 1970s
PHOTO .. Building 25 in 1996
End of Page
Copyright 1998-2015 Cuban Information Archives. All Rights Reserved.