1959 - AUG 1960
From an American Corporation Perspective
[REF: Large American
Document dated June 1961]
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
1. Revolutionary forces seize power and call a general
in effect until Dr. Manuel Urrutia is nominated President of
2. Entrance of Fidel Castro in Havana
3. Prominent figures of the new government:
Dr. Manuel Urrutia - President
Dr. Fidel Castro - Head of the Army
Dr. Jose Miro Cardona - Prime Minister
Dr. Felipe Pazos - Head of the National Bank
Rufo Lopez Fresquet - Minister of Finance
Manolo Ray - Minister of Public Works
Raul Castro - Head in Santiago de Cuba
Ernesto "Che" Guevara - Head of Cabana Fortress
Camilo Cienfuegos - Head of Camp Colombia
4. Starting of trials and executions of Batista followers
all over the
1. Fidel Castro becomes Prime Minister. Raul Castro
2. First time Fidel uses the words "Monopoly" and "Trusts"
Industry during his speech in the Shell Refinery calling for
of the boycott against Shell.
1. Law reducing all house rentals from 30% to 50%.
2. First big public rally to defend the executions.
against monopolies, etc., mainly against CCE (Electric
Company) and CTC
3. Break in diplomatic relations with Dominican Republic.
4. Establishment of severe travel restrictions outside Cuba.
1. Fidel Castro's trip to the United States and South
2. Rumors of conflict between Raul Castro and Camilo
circulate due to opposition of Cienfuegos to communist
1. Agrarian Reform Law is signed in the Sierra Maestra.
2. Donations for the Agrarian Reform reached peak; the
together with employees, 20+ tractors.
3. On May 1, during the big rally, ex-president Figueres of
was guest of honor, was verbally abused by David Salvador
4. CTC (Cuban Telephone Company) was intervened and
1. Diaz Lanz, head of the Air Force, flees Cuba.
1. President Urrutia is ousted because he shows concern over
in the government.
2. The new Tax Reform Law is published.
3. Big rally called for 1 million countrymen in
room and board for 75.
1. A conspiracy allegedly supported by the Government of the
was uncovered through the infiltration of pro-Castro
elements such as
Morgan and R. Gutierrez Menoyo. A plane loaded with
men and arms
1. Coordination of tariffs for all freight paid.
2. Mining law establishing control of all exploration
1. Felipe Pazos resigns from National Bank. Ernesto
2. First Catholic Congress
3. ASTA Convention (American Society of Travel Agents).
4. Hubert Matos imprisoned after resigning as head of
due to his concern about communist influence in all
1. Company starts labor agreement negotiations with our
2. Camilo Cienfuegos reportedly anti-communist disappears
from Camaguey where he was checking details on the Hubert
1. All the match industries in Cuba are confiscated.
2. All the members of the old army remaining in their jobs
3. The newspaper "Advance" is confiscated.
4. The Spanish Ambassador, Juan Pablo Lojendio, interrupted
appearance of Fidel Castro protesting insults to
Spain. He is
ordered to leave the country in 48 hours.
1. The Social Security bank (Bansoscu) is created and 5% tax
all salaries paid and received.
2. A 2% tax to the employees plus 2% tax to employers
imposed on all
to create a fund for theindustrialization of the country.
3. Visit of USSR Premier Mikoyan and opening of the USSR
4. Signing of trade agreement with Russia, also military and
1. The SS "La Coubre" loaded with Belgian ammunition
explodes in Havana
Fidel charges U.S. with sabotage and responsibility for
2. The newspaper "El Mundo" is confiscated.
3. A decree was issued ordering all school teachers in Cuba
course in "Revolutionary Ideology."
1. Trade Agreement is signed with Poland.
2. Congress of Communist Youth of America held in Havana;
900 participants paid for by Cuban government.
3. All workers obliged to register in the Labor Census in
4. Meetings in all 6 Provinces to commemorate birthday of
5. Havana Biltmore Yacht Club intervened.
1. First of May celebrated with big rally attended by
USSR, Czechoslovakia, Red China, Poland, and Hungary.
permitted but banners displaying socialistic and anti-US
2. Manuel Fortuny communist leader of Guatemala and Jacques
murdered arrive in Havana to live there.
3. Diplomatic Relations with USSR are established.
4. Last two free newspapers "Diario de la Marina" and
1. Trade Agreement is signed with Czechoslovakia.
2. Export-Import Bank is created as only agency authorized
1. 26 American companies are expropriated.
2. First Russian Ambassador arrives in Havana.
End of Page
1998-2014 Cuban Information Archives. All Rights